Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Graf #10

Sometimes when my insomnia kicks me hard I kick the books harder. I have always loved to research for fun but my need for information was never fully satiated until the internet hit full stride. My heavily ADD brains love to jump from one subject to the next. Instead of inundating my brain with tons of useless facts about one subject I can can actually answer a question by jumping from information to information and relevant subject to relevant subject. It's like completing a quest in World Of Warcraft. You go all over the place and eventually return to the original idea. It takes a lot of battles with your own attention span. I have learned so much for no good reason, really. I managed to figure out how to get a large craft to Mars with no fuel once using what amounted to a giant Gauss Rifle in space but my math skills are pretty bad so the physics stymied me. Thrust generated my elecrtomagnetic rails on a craft the size of a city block calls for some thinking. It took hours of coffee and cigarettes and a manic devotion to a meaningless topic that required hyperfocusing on boring figures for a very, very long time. Eventually it was all for naught since the cost of getting the damned thing into orbit was the combined yearly income of every nation on Earth but damn it was impressive in my mind. Isn't that what counts?

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

On our way to the Red Planet for sure, what else could matter?